Monday, April 25, 2011

Did you know....about NF?

Did you know that Neurofibromatosis affects 1 out of every 3,000 births? That's 1 too many.
Neurofibromatosis (NF) is a progressive disorder that causes tumors to grow on any nerve cell inside or outside of the body. There is no cure nor is there a treatment. Blindness, brain tumors, deafness, learning disabilities, facial disfigurement, cancer, bone deformity and chronic pain are all complications that NF can cause. 



About a week ago I met a very tender, sweet and resilient little girl. Her name is Lauren she is 4 years old. When she was 3 years old she was diagnosed with this nasty and progressive disorder. They've performed an MRI and unfortunately discovered she has a tumor on her brain. After meeting Lauren and her mother Debbie I couldn't get her contagious smile and happiness of for life off my mind. She's such a tiny person with some much life to live and she is taking each step with her head held high, a smile from ear to ear and without skipping a beat will tell you about her walk. 





What walk you ask? Every May is NF Awareness month. The Children's Tumor Foundation  will hold a walk in Cincinnati on May 21st 2011. My husband, myself and some friends will be walking for Lauren. To donate/register or  find out more information about Lauren CLICK HERE.


In addition to the wonderful walk.  I make and sell flower barrettes...."fleur-ettes". They are knit flowers sewn to french barrettes. Check out PaintedLadyCollective for other knitty up-dates and more fleur-ettes! 




I wanted to find a way to help Lauren.  So I made a NF fleur-ette. For each NF "fleur-ette" I am asking a donation of $10 or more. These fleur-ettes are easy care and can be washed on a hand wash cycle and dried flat. Fleur-ettes aren't just for young girls but ladies too! As my friend demonstrates below....




Lauren would appreciate the love and support as she faces this truly unfortunate disease. Let's all do our part and make everyone we can aware of  NF.


If you'd like a NF fleur-ette please message me...                             (The Painted Lady/Sarah) at paintedladycollective@yahoo.com or paintedladylew@yahoo.com



3 comments:

  1. Love it, and would love to support as much as I can :) I sent you an email. Will be praying too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousin and both her children suffer from NF. Her daughter Hannah has also been battling a brain tumor caused from NF since she was 3 years old. Hannah just celebrated her 8th birthday. She finished up her 2nd year of Chemo about 6 months ago and so far is in the clear we are praying hard it never starts growing again. In addition to NF Hannah also suffers from cereal palsy and is unable to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra-got your message. thank you thank you. :) and SuperMommyof2- I'm so sorry for you cousin's family it has to be so tough, but reading how well she is doing is a glimmer of hope. Thank you so much for sharing. Will be praying for your relatives. If I can provide any fleur-ettes let me know!

    ReplyDelete